the 1920ís Holmer Green was still a quiet rural village. There was no
bus service until the latter part of the decade, when the Amersham bus
company started a service to the top of Amersham Hill, High Wycombe. The
passengers had to walk to and from the town as the vehicle were not
trusted either up or down the hill. However, this service did not operate
on Sundays. Few people had motor cars and probably had to walk or cycle to
their appointments. It was normal practice for local preachers - who far
outnumbered the ministers - to conduct both the afternoon and evening
services at Holmer Green, and to go to tea with one of the Chapel Stewards
the preachers would come from as far as Downley or even Chesham on foot,
and in winter return home in the dark on unlit roads in all weathers, such
was their dedication.
Sunday School Hall was in use for many activities and so the stage
required for concerts tended to be in the way at other times. A local
farmer agreed to keep it in his hay-loft. On one occasion when there was
to be a concert and the farmer was asked for the stage, he looked rather
embarrassed and explained that he had just had a ton of hay put on top of
it! Willing hands moved all the hay to retrieve the stage.
Festival was always a special occasion. A supper was held on the following
day, when the harvest gifts which decorated the chapel were sold. There
was a very small kitchen which would hold only five people, but there were
many helpers so it was a real squash. There was no running water in the
kitchen so water was obtained from the well next door
the days when entertainment was not readily available, village communities
created their own recreational activities. Holmer Green was no exception.
The Methodist Sunday School Hall was the venue for rehearsals of the
Holmer Green Orchestra, which was founded in 1909 by a local Baptist, Mr.
Winter, whose son played in the orchestra. The conductor was a Mr Hatch
who was a Methodist from Winchmore Hill.
1932 the church which was up to then the Wesleyan Methodist joined the
union with the Primitive and United Methodist churches to form the
Methodist Church of today.